Thursday, January 6, 2011

On small town life.

I'm disappointed I haven't posted in a while. As Gandalf would say, "I was delayed."

I have come back from spending six days in a wonderful little town with my girlfriend. We had a great time eating, talking, praying, meeting people, etc. together and I can honestly say without hesitation it was the best six days of my life. I've noticed a big trend lately with best days of my life...I wonder if that says something about the quality of the days or the quality of the last 21 years of my life...probably both.

Regardless, my girlfriend grew up in a very small town. I came from a town with about 18,000 residents...her town has a thousand. I thought my town was small...

My girlfriend and I had quite a bit of time to talk about the place she grew up. I suppose you could say this is my reflection. I've always liked the small towns with large countrysides all around...I thought my hometown was one of those places, but it's not...not quite to the extent this place was. My hometown is small, but it is big enough that there are people moving in and out all the time, and although you will often have families that have lived there forever and it's possible for you to know a large amount of people in town, and see people you've known your whole life around...it doesn't quite match up.

The place my girlfriend grew up is a land full of memory. Every place she and I went, there was something about it that made it important. A story, or some sentimental value. I really liked it. That's the sort of place I want to live. It was always so quiet, you could think better. The air was better, the trees were fuller, and the sky was always beautiful. What a place.

There was a dream that I dreamed, and that dream was that there were no lands without memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment